It goes without saying that when it comes to castles, Scotland has some of the finest in the world. From magnificent medieval gems to fascinating tales of glory and intrigue, crumbling, mysterious castles and even some of the most photographed castles in the world, you name it – Scotland has all this and more. I wouldn’t blame you if you couldn’t pick your favourite – I can’t either!
So sit back, relax, leave the 21st century behind and send your mind flying years back in time… Picture flickering candlelight, family portraits featured on the walls or mazes of corridors as you embark on a journey through some of Scotland’s most interesting castles.
These are just some of the cherries on top of the ice cream of Scottish castles, in no particular order, so if you have your favourite that I’ve left off – whether it’s a fairytale one with turrets and towers or a haunted one where ghosts roam the hallways, TELL US or send your photo @VisitScotland – we want to know!
3. Glamis Castle in Dundee & Angus - a legendary setting for Shakespeare’s Macbeth and the childhood home of HM Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother. It’s widely renowned to be one of the most haunted locations in the British Isles.
4. Edinburgh Castle in Edinburgh & The Lothians - world famous icon of Scotland and part of the Old and New Towns of Edinburgh World Heritage Site. Did you know that Edinburgh is said to be the most haunted city in Europe?
5. Cawdor Castle in the Highlands – a legend has it that the castle is built around a thorn tree, which has since been identified as a holly dating from 1372, which visitors can still see today in the dungeon.
8. Fyvie Castle in Aberdeen City and Shire - once a royal stronghold, one of a chain of fortresses throughout medieval Scotland.
9. Dunrobin Castle in the Highlands - the most northerly of Scotland’s great houses.
Have you visited them all? Or even better – did you know you can stay in a castle? Yes, you heard right! Check out our unusual places to stay ideas for a romantic weekend away, and remember – wherever in Scotland you are, you’re never far away from a castle, especially in Aberdeenshire, which has more castles per square acre than anywhere else in the UK. Isn’t that cool?
Follow Scotland’s Castle Trail to discover more of the country’s spectacular castles.
Latest posts by Aldona Krzemien (see all)
- Hunting the heavens for the Northern Lights - November 6, 2013
- Spark-tacular bonfire night fireworks displays in Scotland - November 1, 2013
- October’s #ScotlandHour - October 30, 2013