Visit the atmospheric ruins of this formal naval base where Earl Somerled, the ‘King of the Isles’, once launched his galleys.
Located on the south side of Islay on the shore of Lagavulin Bay, this crumbling ruin was once an impregnable naval fortress of the ‘Lords of the Isles,’ the chiefs of Clan MacDonald. Constructed on top of a fort or dune, the vestiges of a 15th century keep and a 13th century tower survive although much of what remains most likely dates from the 16th century. After being forfeited to the crown in 1493, the castle was the object of much wrangling between the MacDonalds and rival clans until the Campbell's of Cawdor eventually took up residence. Upon relocating to Islay House, the castle’s final occupant Sir Hugh Campbell had it demolished in 1677.