The Mackintosh House features the meticulously reconstructed principal interiors from the Glasgow home of Charles Rennie Mackintosh and his wife Margaret, complete with original furniture.
The Mackintosh House is a meticulous re-assemblage of the principal interiors from the Mackintoshes’ Glasgow home. The couple lived at 78 Southpark Avenue (originally 6 Florentine Terrace) from 1906 to 1914.
Substantial alterations were made in 1906 as Mackintosh re-modeled the proportions and natural lighting of the Victorian end-of-terrace house. The principal interiors were decorated in his distinctive style, remarkable then, and now, for the disciplined austerity of the furnishings and decoration.
The house was demolished in the early 1960s, but the original fixtures were preserved and reassembled, complete with the contents, as an integral part of the Hunterian Art Gallery.
The architects took pains to ensure that the sequence of rooms exactly reflected the original. The interiors have been furnished with the Mackintoshes' own furniture, all to Mackintosh's design.