Pretty South Queensferry sits on the shore in the shadow of the two Forth Bridges.
South Queensferry is a very pleasant place on the southern shore of the gaping Firth of Forth. The two huge bridges that traverse the Forth to Fife dominate the town.
The Forth Railway Bridge is one of the icons of Scotland. Built between 1883 and 1890 by Sir John Fowler and Benjamin Baker, this bridge is one of the most magnificent feats of engineering ever. It was designed on the cantilever principle, with three towers, each 340 feet high. The bridge, which is 2765 yards long, was opened on 4th March 1890 by Edward, Prince of Wales.
Work began on the Forth Road Bridge in 1958 and it opened in 1964. This suspension bridge is 2000 yards long, with a main span of 3300 feet making it the tenth-longest in the world. Its towers over 500 feet high. The toll bridge carries four lanes of traffic with two walkways.