North of Perth is the site of the famous battle of North Inch. In 1396 King Robert III tried to resolve the feuds between Clan Cameron and Clan Chattan, which included members of the Davidson clan. An arena was built and each clan chose 30 of their best warriors to take part in a battle. The fight was so horrifically bloody only one of the combatants survived, and the feuds continued worse than before.
Head north on the A9 towards Inverness, and just south of Newtonmore is the site of the Battle of Invernahavon. The battle took place in 1387 when Camerons living on lands in Lochaber belonging to the Chattans had refused to pay the rent, and the Mackintosh-Chattan men had taken their cattle in lieu of the debt without their agreement. Some 400 Camerons gathered to take their revenge. The Mackintosh chief called upon the Davidsons and Macphersons to support him in the battle, and because the Davidsons were given the honour of fighting at the right hand side of the Mackintoshes, the dishonoured Macphersons stormed off the battlefield before the fight had even begun. The Camerons now outnumbered the Davidsons and Mackintoshes and killed many of them. The next day the Macphersons were shamed into rejoining the battle and had no trouble in defeating the exhausted Camerons. Unfortunately, it was the Davidson Clan who suffered, being greatly reduced as a result of the battle.
At Newtonmore you can visit the Highland Folk Museum where more than 400 years of Highland history are brought to life in exhibitions which track the everyday experiences of clansmen and crofters. South east of Aviemore is the Rothiemurchus Estate, where the lands extend round Loch an Eilean, and a ruined castle stands on an island. In the mid 16th century, a murderous Davidson was chained in the dungeons here before meeting a horrible end, and his head was set on a pole at the scene of his crime.
Now travel to Inverness. The Davidsons are thought to have settled in this area after the Battle of North Inch in the early 15th century, specifically in Cantray to the east of Inverness, in the Culloden area and on the Black Isle to the north of Inverness.