Visit Livingston, to the south west of Edinburgh, a new town built in the last 50 years. Just to the south is the original Livingston village, founded by the Flemish entrepreneur De Leving (or Livingus). The village kirk and inn date back to the 1700s, and nearby you can visit the Almond Valley Heritage Centre which has fascinating displays in the museum and farm showing the West Lothian's agriculture and industrial heritage.
Leave Livingston and travel north to Linlithgow. Although now a popular town with a main shopping centre, Linlithgow retains many features from its regal and historic past. Linlithgow Palace is a magnificent ruin lying between the town and Linlithgow Loch and was the favourite home of Scottish royalty. Mary Queen of Scots, who was born at the palace, was tutored by John Alexander, the 5th Lord Livingstone, who faithfully served the young queen until his death. His son William stood by the Queen at the Battle of Langside, when she was finally made to surrender the throne of Scotland. By 1600 the Lord of Livingstone had received the earldom of Linlithgow. The 2nd Earl was made Hereditary Constable of the Royal Palace.
A few miles further west is Callendar Park. The Barony of Callendar was granted to Sir William Livingstone by King David II. He accompanied the King in his expedition to England in 1346, and was taken prisoner at the battle of Durham. He was one of four commissioners appointed by the Estates of Scotland to negotiate the ransom of the King, and also for peace between the two nations.
He first built a tower house here in 1345 and his descendants lived here and developed the estate until 1747. Their story is told at Callendar House, one of Scotland's finest country houses where you can see staff in period costumes bringing the past to life. The house is also home to the History Research Centre, which has archives from Falkirk and the surrounding area and exhibitions which detail 600 years of Scottish history.
To the south of Callendar Park is Westquarter, to the west is Kilsyth and to the north west is Dunipace. All are mentioned in the histories of the Grants as homes of the descendants of the Callendar Livingstones.