Swanston sits snugly on the lower slopes of the Pentland Hills 8km due south of the centre of Edinburgh and yet lies entirely within the city boundary.
Swanston golf course was first laid out by Miss Carswell back in the 1920s. The original 9-hole layout was opened in 1928 as a ladies-only course but due to demand it was soon opened up to men and extended to 18 holes. The majority of courses built in the boom construction years between 1880 and 1930 were either built on sandy 'links' ground or, like Swanston, on the lower slopes of hills. Prime agricultural land was too valuable for food production.
By 2005 the course was in need of major investment to bring it up to a higher standard and ensure its prosperity for another 80 years. A new clubhouse was opened in 2007 and in May 2009 seven new holes on the main course, plus a 9-hole par-3 course and driving range, were officially opened by Gavin Hastings OBE, David McLetchie (MSP Edinburgh, Pentlands), Douglas Connon (SGU Chairman), Ethel Jack (SLGA President) and Lynne Kenny (Ladies European Tour Player).
Inland, 18 Holes, Gents 5580 yards, SSS 67, Par 68, Ladies Par 70 , 5053 yards
9 hole short course (1028 yards) with USGA greens
350 yard driving range and 3 USGA practice greens