The Tolbooth

Historic Buildings & Homes

The Tolbooth, Jail Wynd, Stirling, S, FK8 1DE

    Once Stirling’s town hall, the Tolbooth has since established itself as one of Scotland’s most popular venues for live music and the arts.

    Originally serving as a townhouse, it was built by Sir William Bruce (the architect who also designed Holyrood House) in 1705. Over the intervening centuries, the building went onto act as a town hall, jail and courthouse, even hosting a parliament during James VI’s reign. As such, the Tolbooth has continually played an important role in Stirling’s cultural life since its inception. 

    In 2002, it reopened after an extensive and ambitious restoration programme, which was spearheaded by award-winning architect Richard Murphy. Listed as a category A building, interference to the original foundations of the building were kept to a minimum, leaving the redesigned music hall with a distinct 18th-century character.

    Since reopening the Tolbooth has swiftly developed a reputation for being one of Scotland’s best live music venues. It also acts as home for Stirling Council’s Arts and Event Team, while some of Scotland’s best musicians and performers have appeared at the grand venue over the years.


     

    Opening Times
    Open All Year
    2014 Opening Times
    1 Jan 2014 - 31 Dec 2014

    Domestic

    • Public Toilet Facilities

    Payment Methods

    • Mastercard
    • Switch Card
    • VISA Card

    Transport within Scotland

    For public transport information to visit here from within Scotland, enter your postcode and visit date below.

    Journey Planner
    Share

    What's Nearby

    Recently Viewed