Macaulay Sporting Lodge, situated on the outskirts of Stornoway is the ultimate in self catering that the Western Isles has to offer. An unassumining exterior opens up into a house full of warmth and charm.
Situated on a working farm the property caters for upto 10 persons and offers views to the East and South.The convenient location makes access to the airport and ferry terminal very easy as well as opening the gateway to the scenic and historical beauty that these Islands have to offer.
Macaulay Sporting Lodge is situated on family owned Macaulay Farm. The farm was owned by the Macaulay institute and used as a demonstrator for converting peat moor to arable land.In the late 1920s around 50 acres of moorland was cultivated and successfully harvested crops included oats, rye, mashlum, hay, potatoes, cabbage and even celery.
Extensive tests were carried out using varying quantities of manure, shell sand, lime and fish waste
Currently the farm now run by the three brothers, has seen some diversification and is home to a paintball business some free range hens and pigs, and Macaulay College.
The lodge itself was built as a sporting lodge within easy walking distance of the River Creed. Fishing Permits, although not included in the rental, are available from the angling association.Its unassuming exterior camouflages a traditional lodge interior with Canadian brushed pine walls and fitted teak sideboards, kitchen and beds, made by ships carpenters using ships materials from the Watts shipping line.
It is a perfect self catering holiday home to enjoy the magic of Stornoway and the Outer Hebrides as a family or group of friends
Macaulay Sporting Lodge offers a wealth of spacious accommodation catering for upto 10 persons which includes;
- Large Sitting Room / Dining Room
- Large Kitchen
- Saddle Room
- A Large front Porch area - Ideal for all your wet weather clothing and sporting equipment
- A Large and spacious games room with a table tennis table, pool table which also converts into an air hockey table (size 6ft)
- A Super King Double room - with Shower
- A Double - Ensuite with Bath and Shower
- Two Twin Rooms
- One Bunk Room
- Seperate Shower
- Seperate Toilet
- All Bed Linen is also included
The Property also provides;
- Two Televisions and DVD players
- CD Player and Ipod Dock
- WIFI access
- Cot and High Chair upon request
Heating is provided by;
- Central Heating from a Ground Source eco friendly ground source heat pump
- A large open fire in the sitting room / dining room