Situated on the banks of the River Ayr, the Auld Kirk of Ayr dates back to the 17th century.
The Auld Kirk was built on land that previously stood the 12th century Church of St John which had been seized by Cromwell. The present church was built between 1662 - 1655, with many areas of interest in and around the Kirk, such as the beautiful stained glass windows that adorn the building.
Inside the Church is the pew where Robert Burns' father, William Burness, is believed to have sat each Sunday and where possibly the young Robert formed his first impressions of the Kirk. It is also believed that the great Bard was baptized in the Kirk.
There is a lych-gate, erected in 1656, which is an unusual feature in a Scottish church. Hanging on each side of the archway you will see a mortsafe, used to protect newly buried corpses from the body snatchers who often robbed the graves to supply medical schools.
The gravestones within the Kirkyard tell many a tale about those who have gone before, such as a headstone dedicated to John Aitken, chief patron to whom Robert Burns dedicated his poem Cotters Saturday Night.