Clackmannan Tower

Historic Buildings & Homes

3 Castle Court, Menstrie, Clackmannanshire, FK11 7AH

    Clackmannan Tower is a mighty tower house dating back to the 14th century that sits atop the summit of King’s Seat Hill in Clackmannanshire.

    The soaring five-storey structure is one of Scotland’s most impressive towers. It was originally built in the 14th century by King David II of Scotland. Shortly thereafter, the king sold Clackmannan Tower to his cousin Robert the Bruce in 1359.

    King’s Seat Hill provided a strategic site in the control of the Forth and it was most likely sold with its hunting lodge to Robert to keep it in the family without it continuing a royal burden. Work on the great rectangular tower (constructed with cut blocks of pink sandstone) began soon afterwards.

    In the 15th century, a taller square tower was added abutting the south, at which both were presented with a crenellated wall-walk supported on machicolations (open corbels between which defenders could pour scalding oil upon attackers).

    In the late 16th century, the Bruces built a grand mansion block. And in the late 17th century, they built a new entrance court, walled and protected by a moat, to the east, with a new doorway into the castle embellished by a pedimented frame. Fragments of the outer walls, of a garden terrace, and of an ancient bowling green may still be traced.


     

    Opening Times
    Open All Year
    2014 Opening Times
    1 Jan 2014 - 31 Dec 2014

    Transport within Scotland

    For public transport information to visit here from within Scotland, enter your postcode and visit date below.

    Journey Planner
    Share

    What's Nearby

    Recently Viewed