Once a private estate, Drumpellier Country Park covers 500 acres and includes two natural lochs as well as attracting an abundance of wildlife.
During the medieval period, Drumpellier was the farming grange of the Monks of Newbattle Abbey, which gives rise to the name of Monklands, the historical name for the surrounding area. Drumpellier became a public park in 1919 and was designated a Country Park in 1984. The park covers 500 acres and includes two natural lochs, one of which is a Site of Special Scientific Interest. There is a variety of nature trails, one of which leads to Monkland Canal which lies to the southern perimeter of the park. There is also an adventure playground for children, a variety of picnic areas and boats are available to hire throughout the summer season. The park attracts an abundance of wildlife including water birds and small animals which can be regularly spotted by visitors.
The park contains a Visitor Centre which has a cafe and reception area which information about the area. There is also a Countryside Rangers Service which runs various events throughout the year. Summerlee - Museum of Scottish Industrial Life is in nearby Coatbridge.