The Hunterian is Scotland's oldest public museum and is home to one of the largest collections outside of the National Museums.
Founded in 1807, The Hunterian is one of the leading university museums in the UK and is one of Scotland’s most important cultural assets.
Built on Dr William Hunter’s founding bequest, The Hunterian collections include scientific instruments used by James Watt, Joseph Lister and Lord Kelvin.
There are Roman artifacts from the Antonine Wall, major natural and life sciences holdings, Hunter’s own extensive anatomical teaching collection and impressive ethnographic objects from Captain Cook’s Pacific voyages, as well as a major art collection.
The Hunterian is also home to the world’s largest permanent display of the work of James McNeill Whistler and the largest single holding of the work of Charles Rennie Mackintosh. The Mackintosh House has the reassembled interiors from his Glasgow home.