Linn Botanic Gardens & Nursery

Parks & Gardens

Linn Botanic Gardens, Cove, By Helensburgh, Argyll And Bute, G84 0NR

    "A horticultural treasure trove from around the globe, making every part an adventure to explore."

    The name Linn relates to the the swampy ground below the cliff once flooded by the Meikle and Bogle Burns. In 1860 James Martin leased the land from the Duke of Argyll and built the Villa now shown standingabove the Linn. The Architect was William Motherwell.

    The early garden was constructed on the ground around the house. In 1925 the lease expired and the Martins purchased the property. The cottage at the foot of the cliff was built at this time but the garden remained confined to the groung above the cliff.

    In 1947 the Martins sold the Linn. There were two owners during the next twenty three years but no significant changes were made to the garden in this period.

    In 1971 Dr. James Taggart moved to the Linn. The next twenty five years saw extensive redevelopment of the existing garden and its extention into the gully of the Meikle burn, the steep bank and cliff area and onto the swamp below. In 1997 his son Jamie took over the development of the garden.

    The is a marked one Kilometre Walk

     The markers, one to fifty, signpost a walk which will take you through all parts of the garden. Some of the paths arre steep and narrow and there are several flights of steps. The garden is therefore unsuitable for prams and wheelchairs. We regret this, but the nature of the terrain means that there is little that can be done about it.

    Guided tours of the garden can be arranged for organised parties. The Plant Sales Area  stocks many species not usually available.

     

     

    Gradings
    3 Garden
    Opening Times
    Open All Year
    2014 Opening Times
    1 Jan 2014 - 31 Dec 2014

    Domestic

    • Public Toilet Facilities

    Leisure Facilities

    • Garden
    • Gift Shop

    Facilities

    • No Smoking Permitted

    Public Transport Directions

    Getting there by railway:- From Helensburgh Station, leave via Booking Hall, cross road and turn left, walk 100 yards to bus stop. Take Coulport bus which leaves on the hour every hour, except Sundays. Ask to be put off at Linn Gardens Road end. Journey time 40 minutes. From Garelochhead Station, West Highland Line, either take taxi or walk down to village and take Coulport Bus, bus passes through Garelochhead at approx20 minutes past each hour. Restricted service on Sundays.

    Getting there by aeroplane:- From Glasgow Airport, by car, west on M8 to Erskine Bridge, cross River Clyde and continue west on A84. Follow signs for Helensburgh A814, continue through Helensburgh on A814 to Garelochhead and turnleft on to B833, continue on B833 through the villages of Rosneath, Kilcreggan and Cove. Gardens are 0.75 miles north of Cove Village. By public transport, taxi or airport bus to central Glasgow, train to Helensburgh from Queen Street low level.

    Getting there by ferry:- From Gourock - Kilcreggan Ferry and Helensburgh - Kilcreggan Ferry. From Kilcreggan peir head on foot, turn left at pier head. Continue along shore road for 2.5 miles through Cove Village to Cove Bayand Linn Gardens Road end. By Bus, take Coulport bus passing pierhead at 35 minutes past the hour.

    Transport within Scotland

    For public transport information to visit here from within Scotland, enter your postcode and visit date below.

    Journey Planner

    Parking

    • Parking provided for visitors
      • Parking on site
      • Within about 50 metres of the attraction

    This information is self-assessed; therefore we accept no liability for its accuracy. Please contact the venue for further information.

    Share

    What's Nearby

    Recently Viewed