There has been golf played on the links of Montrose for more than four centuries although back then it was rudimentary form of the game.
It is recorded that James Melville, a student at St Andrews University, had golf lessons in 1562 on the links although it would be almost another 250 years before organised golf came to Montrose with the formation of the Montrose Golf Club in 1810. At one stage in its history Montrose was the links with the greatest number of holes. When Musselburgh had only five, Montrose had five times that number. Today it has eighteen and very special they are too.
Type of course: Links
Length: 6,544 yards
Opening Exceptions: Saturday - only between 14.45 - 15.45;
Sunday - after 10.00