Muir of Ord Golf Club was known originally as the Inverness Golf Club. The course was designed in part by James Braid, lying to the west of the old A9 road.
It was laid out mainly on old arable and rough grazing land in 1875. On the first and eighteenth fairways the outlines of old 'lazy beds' can still be seen: this was an early form of cultivation consisting of raised beds of earth. Bisected by the Inverness to Wick railway line, this heathland course has improved tremendously over recent years with the addition of 5 new holes and the overseeding of all the fairways. The par 3 twelfth measuring 219 yards is probably one of the toughest in the Highlands with almost no margin for error and some tricky holes down the stretch for home to ensure a demanding par of 68.