Stornoway Golf Club was founded in 1890 on the present day site of Stornoway Airport.
It was resited to its current location within the grounds of the Lews Castle in 1947 with the aid of compensation received from the Air Ministry who had requisitioned the original course in 1939.
The 18 hole course is well designed and professionally maintained with panoramic views of Stornoway Harbour and the Minch. At only 5252 yards it may appear short by modern standards but there are plenty of hazards for wayward shots including mature trees, heather and gorse. Substantial investment in the last few years have led to on-course improvements - including a new drainage system - and a modernised clubhouse. Facilities include a golf shop with club and trolley hire, practice nets, chipping/bunker/putting practice area, putting green, locker rooms, and a licensed bar with light snacks.
The club is also the host of the Western Isles Open Amateur Championships for Men, Ladies and Juniors which are held as part of the Lewis Golf Week every July. We have always enjoyed a reputation for being a friendly and sociable club, and visitors are assured of a warm welcome.
18 holes, 5252 yards, SSS 67, par 68