Swanston sits snugly on the lower slopes of the Pentland Hills adjacent to Hillend ski slopes and adjoining Lothianburn Golf Club.
Swanston New Golf Course was the brainchild of a lady called Miss Carswell back in the 1920s. She took out a lease on the land and set about laying out the course with Herbert More, Swanston’s first greenkeeper. The original 9-hole layout was opened in 1928 as a ladies-only course but due to demand from the lady members’ partners it was soon opened up to men and extended to 18 holes. Like most Scottish golf courses built in the boom years between 1880 and 1930, Swanston was built on the only land available in those days (ie: not prime agricultural land which was too valuable for food production).
By 2005 the course was in need of major investment to bring it up to a higher standard and ensure its prosperity for another 80 years. In 2006 work began on seven new holes which opened for play in March 2009, six of them on the neighbouring lower ground (previously agricultural fields) not available to Miss Carswell back in the 1920s. Some improvements have been made to the 11 original holes without losing their character and more improvements are planned (with the space we now have any further modifications will not interrupt play). In May 2009 the new holes were officially opened by Gavin Hastings OBE, David McLetchie (MSP Edinburgh, Pentlands), Douglas Connon (SGU Chairman), Ethel Jack (SLGA President) and Lynne Kenny (Ladies European Tour Player).
Inland, 18 Holes, 5,580 yards, SSS 67, Par 68