This traditional Lewis thatched house is fully furnished, complete with an attached barn, byre and stackyard.
Built in around 1880, No.42 Arnol gives a special insight into island life. This blackhouse was once the residence of a Hebridean crafting family and their animals, who moved out in 1966, and today it is preserved almost as the family left it.
A peat fire burns in the open hearth with the smoke filtering out through the roof. A furnished 1920s crofthouse is also open to view.
The new visitor centre is contained on one level, where there is a shop, exhibition area and an interactive model.
Most of the site is accessible to visitors using wheelchairs however the door leading to the rear is too narrow to fit a wheelchair.
Parking is 45 m from the property, but visitors with disabilities can be dropped off nearer the house.
Very occasionally the property has to close at short notice due to adverse weather conditions or other reasons out with our control. Please check the Historic Scotland closures page for any unexpected site closures www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/hsclosure. You can also follow closure tweets from @welovehistory using #hsclosure. Alternatively please call the site before setting off to check they are open.