This traditional Lewis thatched house is fully furnished, complete with an attached barn, byre and stackyard.
Built in around 1880, No.42 Arnol gives a special insight into island life. This blackhouse was once the residence of a Hebridean crafting family and their animals, who moved out in 1966, and today it is preserved almost as the family left it.
A peat fire burns in the open hearth with the smoke filtering out through the roof. A furnished 1920s crofthouse is also open to view.
The new visitor centre is contained on one level, where there is a shop, exhibition area and an interactive model.
Most of the site is accessible to visitors using wheelchairs however the door leading to the rear is too narrow to fit a wheelchair.
Parking is 45 m from the property, but visitors with disabilities can be dropped off nearer the house.