Mercat Tours is the original, largest, and only 5-star walking tour company in Scotland. We have been providing award-winning history and ghost tours of Edinburgh since 1985.
Book this tour if you’d like…
- To explore the history of the famous Blair Street Underground Vaults
- To see, and touch, artefacts from 19th Century
- Hear how real people lived, and worked, in the Vaults
The Story of the Underground
This is a chance to visit the Blair Street Underground Vaults – the deepest, largest and most extensive in the city, in the company of a Mercat historian. Why were the Vaults built? When and by whom? Who used the Vaults? How did they work, and play?
Your guide will recount the history of the Vaults, recall their stories and answer your questions during this glimpse into our past.
Historical & intriguing
Please note this tour is restricted to a maximum of 25 places only so you are strongly urged to book in advance.
How To Book
You can book online by clicking on the 'Book' button on this page. You can also check availability and book with our professional, friendly team of experts who are waiting to assist you on 0845 859 1006 or on email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
After booking we'll send you your booking confirmation/e- voucher.
Mercat Tours is the original, largest, and only 5-star walking tour company in Scotland. Providing award-winning history and ghost tours of Edinburgh since 1985.
With an extensive portfolio of tours with guaranteed departures, daily, all year round. Tours run by day and night; discover Old Town and New Town; explore above ground and underground; glimpse the historical and ghostly. Mercat promise to engage, enthral and entertain our visitors as we share the city’s remarkable stories.’
Ticket Terms & Conditions
- If you purchase your ticket online after 4pm Friday until 9am Monday, you will not receive your e-confirmation until Monday. You are unable to use your ticket/pass without this confirmation.
- Visitors should report 15 minutes before the tour departs
- Start Mercat Cross, a substantial eight-sided monument next to St Giles Cathedral on the Royal Mile
- Tickets are non-refundable