'Orkney Uncovered' is a unique tour company offering private tours of Orkney's Wartime Defences, Stone Age Sites, Bespoke Jewellery, Wildlife and Coastal Scenery Walks.
Orkney Uncovered Bespoke Private Tours
Kinlay Francis is a Scottish Tourist Guides Association, qualified Orkney Regional Affiliate, Green Badge Guide.
Our Private Gudied/Driver Tours include the following:
Wartime Defences in and around Scapa Flow
Orkney Uncovered tours specialise in 19th and 20th century war defences in the Orkney Islands, visiting both familiar and unfamiliar key sites and structures during the Napoleonic Era, WWI and WWII.
These small group tours offer fascinating anecdotes, commentary and visual aids, uncovering the past both historically and socially, painting a picture of what life was like for those servicemen and servicewomen who defended the shores during wartime Orkney.
- Coastal Defence Batteries
- Italian Chapel
- Churchill Barriers
- WWI Blockships
- HMS Royal Oak resting place
- WWII Airfields
- Air Raid Shelters
- Nuclear Installations
- Anti-Invasion Defences
- Bunkers and much more.
New for 2014 Scapa Flow Tour
We are pleased to say that we now offering a Scapa Flow day tour which includes Orkney's Wartime Mainland Defences and a journey on Scapa Flow in a private vessel where you can see the Churchill Barriers from the sea, spot seals and various sea birds such as the Black Guillemot. This tour also includes a trip to the final resting place of HMS Royal Oak.
Come and be professionally guided around Orkney's Stone Age, Viking and Medieval sites and structures. We will discuss theories around the way of life for the Neolithic people and why they suddenly left villages like Skara Brae 5000 years ago.
- Ness of Brodgar (Open 16th July - 24th August)
- Skara Brae and Skaill House
- Ring of Brodgar - Ceremonial/Defensive Henge
- Standing Stones of Stenness
- Barnhouse Village
- Broch of Gurness - Iron Age Village
- Brough of Birsay and Pictish Settlement
- St Magnus Cathedral - 12th Century
- Bishops Palace - 12th Century
- Earls Palace - 17th Century - Finest Renaissance building in Scotland
Arts, Crafts and Jewellery
Uncover the Orkney Craft Trail and meet our local crafters. Orkney boasts some of the most highly skilled arts, crafts and jewellery people in Britain. We will guide you around some of the familiar and unfamiliar trade places.
- Bespoke tour of Sheila Fleet Jewellery workshop and studio in Tankerness. Sheila Fleet OBE, still designs this beautiful World reknown jewellery. Some of her popular collections include 'Wild Grasses' and 'Tidal Treasures'. (Very popular).
- The Harray Potter - Visit the Harray Potter an expert ceramics craftsman. Watch how ceramic pottery is made.
- The Wool Shed - Visit the Wool Shed in Evie. See handmade felt articles, sheepskin rugs and cushions. This is a great place to see the famous North Ronaldsay Wool products, made from the seaweed eating sheep of North Ronaldsay, Orkney's most northerly island.
- Aurora Jewellery - Beautifully contemporary jewellery inspired by local traditions. Collections include: Snowdrop and Daisy.
- Pier Arts Centre - Vist this modern and contemporary arts centre based in Stromness, Fascinating building right on the Stromness Harbour Front.
- Watercolour and Orkney Shell Boxes - Meet local artist Lesley Francis who paints awe inspiring watercolours of our beautiful Orkney Scenery and Wildlife. Lesley also designs and makes ornate wooden boxes covered in beautiful shells and pottery found on our beaches. (Very popular).
Coasts, Cliffs and Beaches
Come on a wonderfully refreshing walk around some of Orkney's areas of outstanding natural beauty.
- Sea cliffs of Yesnaby. From here you can go on a walk to visit the Yesnaby sea stack, known locally as the 'Yesnaby Castle'. Great views over the Atlantic Ocean.
- Marwick Head - Walk up to Marwick Head to sea the cliffs overlooking the Atlantic. Spot Great Skua's, Puffins and Cormorants.
- Brough of Birsay - Walk to Brough of Birsay and up to the Brough Lighthouse for beautiful scenic views of the Atlantic Ocean.
- The Churchill Barriers - Visit the beautiful sandy beaches of the Churchill Barriers.
- Inganess Bay - Go on a short circular walk around the bay of Inganess. Beautiful sandy beaches.
- Ness Point to Warbeth Beach - Outstanding coastal walk, passing by Hoy Sound and the lovely fishing town of Stromness.
These are just some of the amazing scenic places you can visit.
Please note that all our tours are tailored to meet your requirements and we can offer a wide range of tours.
Orkney Uncovered tours include:
Qualified Orkney Green Badge Driver/Guide
Luxury Volkswagen Transporter Shuttle Bus - Seating up to 8 passengers in comfort.
Pick Up / Drop Off
Bottled Mineral Water
Admississions (Where Stated)
For further information please visit our website: www.orkneyuncovered.co.uk
or call: +44(0) 1856878822 / +44(0) 7841697237