Abington is a small village at the southern edge of the Clyde Valley 11 miles (18 km) southwest of Biggar and close to the M74 motorway.
The River Clyde passes through the village and the West Coast Main Line, which runs from Glasgow to London, passes by the village before beginning its ascent up Beattock Summit. Abington was strategically important for the Romans and there is still evidence of forts and settlements in the area. Just north of the village are earthworks that date from the 12th century. Another highlight of the village is the Glencaple Parish Church, a grey and brown stone church which is edged in red whose foundation stone was laid on 9 August 1898.