Airdrie is a former industrial town in North Lanarkshire and is 12 miles east of Glasgow.
Airdrie’s industrial heyday was the 19th century when the major industries were coal mining and cotton milling. Modern day Airdrie is very much a commuter town. The town contains a variety of historical and modern attractions.
AA Battery Drumbowie, a World War II anti-aircraft battery, is located on the outskirts of the town. In the nearby settlement of Riggend lies the Wallace Stone, which legends says was used by William Wallace to sharpen his sword on his way to the Battle of Falkirk. More modern structures include the Black Hill transmitting station, which is the tallest structure in Scotland and The Airdrie Public Observatory, one of only four public observatories in the UK.
Airdrie is a popular spot for angling at Hillend Loch and Black Loch, while the Monkland Canal runs to the south of the town. Popular recreational spaces are the Centenary and West End Parks which contain the Airdrie Cenotaph and the Centenary Railway Viaduct, which dates from 1866 and is now a B-listed structure. The woodlands of Rawyards provide opportunities for wildlife watching and picnicking as well as panoramic views over Airdrie. Rawyards also contains the Scottish sculptor Rob Mulholland's Skytower sculpture. Wester Moffat woodland also sits on the edge of town and offers links to the North Calder Heritage Trail.
Airdrie has a variety of locally-run eateries in its town centre. Graham Street, the main pedestrianised street, offers a selection of shops. Local bus services connect Airdrie to nearby towns and villages as well as Glasgow. The town also has regular train services to Glasgow, Edinburgh and Livingston and is easily accessible by road. Airdrie sits on the UK National Cycle Network Route 75 which runs from Glasgow to Edinburgh.