Alexandria is a former industrial town and now commuter base just south of Loch Lomond and north of Dumbarton.
Alexandria sits on the River Leven just south of Loch Lomond and 3 miles (5 km) from Dumbarton on the Firth of Clyde. Having developed from a single grocers shop in the early 18th century, the town grew into a substantial industrial town in the 19th century until it joined up with neighbouring Jamestown and Balloch.
As well as textiles and printing, Alexandria’s prosperity was based on the motor industry with the Argyll Motor Works having the largest car production plant in Europe between 1905 and 1913 in the town. During the Second World War, it produced torpedoes and now houses a motor museum.
With rail links to Glasgow, the town is now a base for commuters and industry has been replaced by whisky distilling.