The town of Alness is 3 miles west of Invergordon in Easter Ross, at the head of the Cromarty Firth.
Alness has, over the centuries, been witness to change and development like no other community in Ross-shire, especially since the first recorded mention as ‘Alenes’ in 1227. The town is actually a composite of two parishes; Alness and Rosskeen, divided by the River Averon. The original Alness was a small crofting community opposite the old Kirk and saw its main expansion in the 19th century thanks to Captain Hugh Munro of Teaninich, who also founded Teaninich Distillery in 1817.
Alness is the largest town in the county of Ross-Shire in the Highlands of Scotland. This beautiful Highland town is located just 20 miles (33 km) north of Inverness and has many attractions for both young and old. There are two malting distilleries within the town producing the finest Scottish malt whisky. Alness Golf Club is a beautifully situated 18 hole golf course and is often called one of the ‘best kept secrets of the Highlands’. The club offers a warm welcome to both beginners and seasoned players alike and is open to visitors all year round.
Alness is renowned for its floral displays and has won Britain in Bloom in 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004 and 2007 and Scotland in Bloom in 1997, 1998, 2000 and 2004.