Situated along one of Scotland’s most renowned salmon fishing streams, the River Beauly, the sleepy stone-built village of Beauly is only 10 miles west of Inverness.
The name Beauly was bestowed on the village by Mary Queen of Scots, who, when staying at the priory in the summer of 1564, allegedly commented: Ah, que beau lieu! (What a beautiful place!). In fact, the description ‘beau lieu’ was bestowed by the Lovat family, who came to the region from France with the Normans in the 11th century.
The River Beauly is famous for its great salmon fishing and the nearby Culligran Estate offers daily permits for trout fishing too. The town is an excellent base for exploring the surrounding countryside and pursuing more energetic activities including walking and climbing on some of the most beautiful mountains and glens in Scotland with Glen Affric lying just on its doorstep. The popular annual Highland Cross event, where participants traverse the spectacular Scottish Highlands cycling and running from the west coast to the east coast of Scotland, finishes in the village.
Beauly is arranged around a single street that widens into a spacious marketplace, at the north end of which stands the skeletal red sandstone remains of Beauly Priory. Founded in 1230 by the Bisset family for the Villiscaulian order, and later becoming Cistercian, it was destroyed during the Reformation and is now in ruins.