Bishopbriggs is an affluent commuter suburb situated 5 miles north of Glasgow city centre.
Though close to Scotland’s largest city and with strong rail and road links, Bishopbriggs has been able to retain a sense of its own identity and is a thriving community with shopping and recreational facilities.
The town centre is known as ‘The Bishopbriggs Cross' and also as 'The Village'. Within The Cross is a pedestrianised area at Cross Court which includes the war memorial. It was erected in 1920 by the Stirling family who were major land owners in the area at the time. Cross Court also contains many shops and restaurants, and the town centre has another retail area in the Triangle Shopping Centre.
A number of businesses are located at Huntershill Village, which sits at the top of the Crowhill area. Established in 1995, the Village now has over 40 independent and locally-run businesses, including a gift shop, garden centre and coffee shop. Huntershill Village is also home to various memorials. These include a coal hutch dedicated to the Miners of the World, a cairn memorialising 18th century political reformer Thomas Muir of Huntershill and a memorial gate to Muir's fellow reformers. Bishopbriggs Library hosts a permanent exhibition to Muir which includes a specially commissioned bust of the reformer by celebrated Scottish sculptor Alexander Stoddart.
Bishopbriggs is also known for its leisure centre, the Leisuredrome, which is one of the best equipped in Scotland. The town also has three golf courses, which includes the Bishopbriggs Golf Club, which was founded in 1906, and the Cawder Golf Club boasts Cawder House, built in 1654 and former residence of the Stirling family, as its clubhouse.
The town sits at a junction on the M80 motorway, which runs from Glasgow to Stirling and connects with roads to Edinburgh and other towns. Bishopbriggs has its own railway station which sits on the line from Glasgow to Stirling, while other major cities and towns can be accessed by changing at Croy. A variety of bus services are available, connecting Bishopbriggs to the Kelvin Valley as well as Falkirk and Stirling. Bishopbriggs also sits on the Forth and Clyde Canal.