Bonar Bridge is a village on the north bank of the Kyle of Sutherland, in the Parish of Criech in Highland Scotland.
Bonar Bridge is an area of great archaeological and historical significance. Originally just called Bonar until the completion of the first bridge across the River Kyle in 1812, Bonar Bridge is a great stopping point on the Highland road from Inverness to Caithness.
Evidence of prehistoric inhabitancy is in abounds in the area and in May 1900 a collection of Bronze Age jewellery, known as the Migdale Hoard, was discovered by workmen in Bonar Bridge.
As a major crossing point of the Dornoch Firth, Bonar Bridge has been actively involved in battles, skirmishes and disputes throughout the history of Scotland. A notable example took place in 1746 as Clan Sutherland and the Earl of Cromartie engaged in the Battle of Bonar Bridge. Many of the clan were killed or captured and thus they were prevented from joining Bonnie Prince Charlie at the Battle of Culloden.
Today Bonar Bridge is an interesting, historical and informative tourist destination. Each year Bonar Bridge celebrates its Gala Week or the Salmon Queen Week to pay tribute to the local food source. There are many areas and attractions of interest in the local area, including the Falls of Shin, where salmon can be spotted attempting to leap up the falls.