Cambuslang is a suburban town south of the River Clyde on the south-eastern outskirts of Glasgow.
The town has a long history of coal mining and iron and steel making, as well as engineering. Notable sights in the town include the remains of an Iron Age fort and the ruins of Gilbertfield Castle, both of which lie on Dechmont Hill. The mound where the 14th century Drumsargard Castle once stood can be seen near the new construction village of Drumsagard which was built on the site of the old Cambuslang Iron and Steel Works. Another notable building is the old Savoy Cinema, which was built in 1929 and currently operates as a bingo hall.
Modern day Cambuslang has a busy central shopping area surrounded by Victorian housing. The redevelopment of the Main Street and Cambuslang Precinct has turned it into a lively centre with a variety of shops, restaurants, cafes, pubs and local services. The town is also known for its indoor and outdoor go karting with two large circuits. Cambuslang Park is a popular attraction which consists of open park land and the Borgie Glen, a steep, tree-lined ravine. The park also contains the Bandstand, a natural amphitheatre which was a site of activity during the Cambuslang Wark.
Cambuslang has its own railway station with regular trains to Glasgow, Hamilton and Motherwell. Bus services connect Cambuslang to surrounding towns and villages as well as Glasgow. The town is situated near to the M74 motorway and is easily accessible by car.