Eday is a long, thin island in the north of Orkney with beautiful panoramic views and farms and crofts adorning the coastal strip.
The island of Eday is dominated by heather-covered upland, with farmland confined to a narrow strip of coastal ground. The sparsely inhabited island is almost divided in two by its thin waist, flanked on either side by sandy bays, between which lies its airfield (known as London Airport).
Birdlife thrives on Eday. Whimbrel and red-throated diver breed, as do puffin and black guilemot amongst the huge seabird colonies on the red standstone cliffs of Red Head, the eastern cliffs, and the uninhabited island of Calf of Eday.
The 15-foot Stone of Setter is Orkney's most distinctive standing stone, weathered into three thick, lichen-encrusted fingers. Another prehistoric site is the Vinquoy Chambered Cairn. The grand Carrick House, on the east coast, is open to visitors in summer. Built by the Laird of Eday in 1633, it was extended in the original style by successive owners, but is best known for its associations with the pirate John Gow - on whom Sir Walter Scott's novel The Pirate is based - whose ship The Revenge ran aground on the Calf of Eday in 1725. He asked for help from the local laird, but was taken prisoner in Carrick House, before eventually being sent off to London where he was tortured and executed.
Go to VisitEday for more information on Eday including getting around and places to eat.