Evanton lies 1 mile north of the Cromarty Firth, just south west of Alness and has an interesting military history.
Evanton’s origins can be dated back to 1810 when the local laird, Alexander Fraser of Inchcoulter, laid out a new township between the River Glass and the River Sgitheach. He named it after his son, Evan Baillie Fraser.
Evanton gained a railway station in 1863 and a distillery, Glen Skiach, in 1896. The distillery stopped production in 1926, one of a number of Scottish distilleries that were unable to survive a fall in Scotch demand during Prohibition in the USA.
A military airfield was built in 1922 on the north shore of the Firth, by Evanton, establishing the area as an important naval base. Originally called RAF Novar, this became RAF Evanton by the 1930s and serviced the Fleet Air Arm aircraft based on the ships of the fleet. The airfield now is used to support industries associated with the North Sea oil boom. Today, Evanton revolves around the junction between Balconie Street and Chapel Street. Though now used for residential reasons, the former Succession Chapel is Evanton’s most striking building. Evanton has several attractions, including the Fyrish Monument, built in 1782 , representing the Gate of Negapatam in Madras, India.
Evanton is also home to the Black Rock Gorge through which the River Glass runs. The gorge is the subject of a local Gaelic myth in which a noblewoman, the Lady of Balconie, is lured into its depths by a mysterious man, thought to be the devil. It is said that her cries can be heard from the top of the gorge.
In 2004, Black Rock Gorge was used as a setting for a scene in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.