Gartocharn is a small village on the southern shore of Loch Lomond.
The pretty village of Gartochran sits in the shadow of Duncryne Hill, affectionately known as the ‘Dumpling’ because of its shape which resembles a cloutie dumpling. Although the hill is only 462 ft (141 m) high it offers one of the best views of Loch Lomond and the mountains of the southern Highlands beyond.
There are a number of beautiful walks near the village including the Aber Shore beauty spot on the shores of Loch Lomond. From this spot a number of bird species can be spotted including sand martin, house martin, swift and osprey.
To the north of the village lies Ross Priory. This 17th century gothic style building dates back to 1693 and is owned by Strathclyde University. It was while staying at Ross Priory that Sir Walter Scott wrote parts of The Lady of the Lake in 1810 and Rob Roy in 1871. There is also a nine-hole golf course in the grounds of Ross Priory.