This year, Valentine’s Day falls on a Saturday, the best day of the weekend! Perfect for 24 hours of truly spoiling your other half (and quite possibly yourself along the way too!). Believe it or not we’re not going to get the chance to celebrate Valentine’s Day on a Saturday again for another 11 years!
With this in mind, this blog has been specially designed help you get the most out of this special Saturday. So grab your partner, get out there and celebrate Valentine’s Day in style!
- Watch the sun rise together. Bonus points if you’ve travelled to a scenic location to enjoy it too!
- Treat your other half to a delicious breakfast in bed. From golden slices of toast, spread with sweet Scottish jam, to mouth-watering Scottish salmon with fluffy scrambled eggs, you’ll find plenty of high quality local ingredients to make your Valentine’s Day breakfast extra special.
- Make the most of the fresh morning air and enjoy a romantic stroll along snowdrop lined paths at the Scottish Snowdrop Festival.
- Whisk your loved one away for an unforgettable Valentine’s Day on one of Scotland’s beautiful islands. From the enchanting Orkney islands in the north to the beautiful isles of Arran and Mull in the west, Scotland’s is bursting with island paradises that will make you and your partner feel like you are the only two people in the world.
- Visit a whisky distillery and learn something new together. The delicious dram of whisky at the end of the tour will help to warm your cockles too.
- Bring back fond childhood memories, and share them with your other half, as you enjoy over 100 playable games at the Game Masters Exhibition at the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh.
- Does your partner have a favourite Scottish writer? Surprise them with a visit to a site that is associated with their hero’s life or one of their best loved stories.
- Surround yourself with beauty at a magnificent botanic garden. Wander through the snowdrops in Dawyck Botanic Garden’s fairytale woodlands or see magnificent floral displays in the glasshouses The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh.
- Spend a few leisurely hours enjoying magnificent works of art at one of Scotland’s art galleries.
- Dance the night away at the Friends of the Earth Scotland Valentine ceilidh in Edinburgh. Complete with candlelit bar, love cocktails, and the fabulous Belle Star Band this fast paced event at Steiner School is sure to get you and your partner’s hearts racing.
- Wrap up warm and visit Scotland’s Dark Sky Park. Pack a picnic with a warming thermos and some delicious sweet treats and enjoy them together as you gaze at inky black skies sparkling with thousands of stars.
- Discover the ancient language of love at the Love and the Romans event at The McManus: Dundee’s Art Gallery & Museum. Join Makar WN Herbert, poet for the City of Dundee, as he shares a selection of Roman love poetry before you enjoy live music and a feast of Valentine’s themed nibbles.
- Enjoy a distillery tour, live music, sweet treats and a cocktail or two at the After Hours: Valentine’s Day event at the recently-opened Kingsbarns Distillery, near St Andrews.
- See Snowdrops by Starlight at Cambo Estate in Fife. Wander through snowdrop woodlands, illuminated by thousands of twinkling lights, and tantalise your tastebuds with a tasty slice of home baking together afterwards.
Even though Valentine’s Day is now over for this year, it’s never too late to plan a special day with your loved ones. Remember enjoy a delicious meal together while you’re at it too. Find mouth-watering recipes to make at home, book a restaurant for a sumptuous meal or why not try your hand at cocktail making and whip up a delicious gin cocktail? You could even choose a cocktail each and see whose recipe turns out best …
For information on local distilleries, check out our Scottish Whisky Distilleries Guide!