Ellon Castle Gardens is a wonderful tranquil space in the market town of Ellon, Aberdeenshire. It was until recently a "secret" walled garden belonging to Ellon Castle and unknown to many of the residents of the town. It was gifted to the community of Ellon as part of a planning gain arrangement and is now administered by Ellon Castle Gardens Trust. The garden was laid out in 1715 and contains two sundials - one of which was until recently a listed monument and dates back to the early 18th century. The garden walls are currently being repaired and drainage, electricity and water installed.
The highlight of the garden is the collection of ancient English yew trees which are at least 500 years old and perhaps much older.
There is a fine collection of native and exotic trees and the borders enclosed by box hedges. The garden abounds with wildlife including red squirrels and many species of birds.
There is also a 30 foot terrace on top of which stands the ruin of Ardgith Castle which dates from the 1400s. The garden is completely unspoiled and in its present state is a wonderfully tranquil space. On completion of the restoration, this garden will be a major tourist attraction.