The village of Greenlaw is situated in the foothills of the Lammermuir Hills on the Blackadder Water between Duns and Coldstream in Berwickshire.
Greenlaw was built in the late 17th century and functioned as the county town of Berwickshire from 1569. It shared this title with Duns from 1696 until the early years of the 20th century, when Duns took it over.
Places of historical interest in the village include the village kirk, built in 1657, and the Mercat Cross built in 1696 are the oldest structures in the town. Greenlaws impressive town hall was built in 1831 and reflects the town’s status at the time. In 2006 the building was shortlisted for the BBC television series Restoration Village.
The remains of Hume Castle can be founds 3 miles to the south of the village. Originally built in the 13th century, the castle was destroyed by Cromwell’s invading army in 1651. In 1770 the 3rd Lord Marchmont, a member of the Home Family, bought the site and built the walls you see today.
The last public hanging in Scotland took place in this village at the Greenlaw Kirk in 1834.