Renowned for a warm Scottish welcome, the hotel is the ideal base to explore everything Kelso has to offer, including fishing, golf and horse racing.
James Dickson (whose portrait hangs above the fireplace in the entrance hall) ran away from Kelso at the age of 11 to escape the authorities after breaking the pant-well of the town, then situated in the town square.
It is understood that he went to London, where we can pick up his trail later on in his life. An entrepreneur, James Dickson dealt in the trading and import of goods in England, mainly spices. This trade made him a very rich man and having made his fortune, decided to come back to his hometown.
Now a respectable gentleman, James Dickson needed to find housing to match his stature and so decided to build Ednam House, then named Havanah House.
So in 1761 the house was erected and no expense was spared. The location by the river was bought as well as land in the town to provide the vegetable garden. The architect was James Nisbet who amongst other prestigious buildings, had supervised the erection of Paxton House near Duns (hence the similarities between the two houses). The then expert, Joseph Rose, executed the splendid Italian plaster ceilings. Fine craftsmen were also contracted to produce the various carved doors, fireplaces and stone work.
After the death of James Dickson, Havanah House had various owners until 1928 when Ralph Brooks bought the house, renamed it Ednam House and turned it into a hotel.
Although the original building has been extended and updated through the years, many of the splendid original features still remain for all to enjoy
Four generations of the Brooks family ran the hotel until recently.
In April 2014, Robert and Gina Parker purchased Ednam House and have already set about plans for renovations, restoring the house to its former glory. The owners have a portfolio of properties; including award-winning hotels and self-catering cottages in Northumberland and Edinburgh.
We hope to welcome you to Ednam House very soon.