Welcome to Granary Cottage
Granary Cottage forms one half of the old Kelton Mill, a 19th century water mill used to process corn during the years when the Solway area was a hub of industry. The old mill's character has been preserved with a broad open-plan feel, high-beamed ceilings and country-style furniture.
It's thought that a mill existed on the site since the 15th century. After WWII, it became a farm store, and was later used for community barn dances. Views from the back patio look across the Slackie Burn that would have once powered the mill.
Granary Cottage is a 2 storey cottage with accommodation for 4 guests:
2 twin bedrooms
Large open-plan kitchen with dining area
Bathroom with shower over bath
Portable electric heaters, white meter heating
Immersion water heating
Car parking available
Public transport accessible
We welcome families with children to Granary Cottage but parents/guardians should be aware of the stream behind the cottage as well as the road in front of the accommodation and should not let children play unattended.
For larger groups, Millwheel Cottage next door sleeps 4 people, while Gate Lodge at the entrance to Threave sleeps 5.
Staying at Threave means you'll be able to make the most of the many things there are to see and do. This 14th century estate once belonged to the 'Black' Douglas family but was bought in 1867 by a successful Liverpool businessman who set about building the baronial mansion at the heart of the gardens. Threave's 1,490-acres weave through wetlands, woodlands, peat and rock gardens. Inside the house, themed rooms give a flavour of 1930s mansion life for Scotland's upper crust. Lose yourself in the secret garden, take a wander round the open-air sculpture collection and keep an eye out for bats; Threave is one of Scotland's hotspots for them.
Threave lies about a mile from Castle Douglas, the 'Food Town', known for its fine fresh local produce, its brewers, butchers and delicatessens. Castle Douglas was established in the late 18th century, along the same grid plan as Edinburgh's New Town, and thrived as a market hub. Its 1900 hexagonal Auction Mart is still in use today. In the surrounding countryside red squirrels, woodpeckers, badgers and hares make their home.