Roskhill House is a very very early “white house” type of working croft house and was built around 1890 after the Napier Commission & Crofters Act of 1886 provided security of tenure. The house helped set the simple functional architectural style for the Island and is known as a 1¾ storey style with upstairs rooms having coombed (part sloping) ceilings. Originally, most rooms would have had small simple fireplaces and the walls and ceilings would have been lined with tongue and groove wooden slats. This offered little in the way of “quaintness” or insulation to conserve heat and gave the rooms a rather stark appearance. There was no electricity and little indoor washing facilities.
Over 125 years the house and its use has evolved. By 1910 an extension to the house had become the Harlosh Post Office and village store; today, this forms the guest lounge, retaining exposed stone walls. As they became available more modern facilities such as electricity were installed. About 50 years ago the fireplaces were bricked up as more efficient and far less labour intensive methods of heating the house were becoming commonplace. Dunvegan was expanding and became the principle village in the area as roads and transport improved.
Therefore in the early 1970’s the house evolved to become a Guest House. Around this time the old wooden slats needed to be replaced; more modern materials were used and gave a lighter airier feel to the rooms. For the first time, insulation material was added. Past and present renovations have kept the general feel of modest simplicity, whilst conforming to current building regulations.
Today, Roskhill House offers plenty of 21st century amenities and is furnished to a high standard. With all its superb comfort, it still retains - for the discerning guest - the simple charm of a much older way of life. Beautifully situated 100 metres off the main road, 3 miles south of Dunvegan, the Guest House is an ideal base for touring and exploring the whole of the wonderful Isle of Skye.
The local area's sparkling coral beaches are accessible and glorious. McLeod’s Tables form a majestic and ever-changing view as the light changes with the weather and the time of day. Driving over to Neist Point not only provides spectacular scenery, but with a reasonable short walk when you arrive, you can stand on the most westerly point of the island. The Fairy Bridge, according to some of the many tales around it, is said to be where the silken Fairy Flag came into the possession of the McLeod clan. And, of course, there’s Dunvegan Castle itself, which has so much to offer. In and around Dunvegan is excellent for walking, climbing, bird-watching and wildlife; easy, moderate and more challenging walks abound. There are award winning restaurants, characterful pubs and cafes close by.