The Hill House Apartment is situated on the top floor of the Hill House, with access via a steep spiral staircase. The principal room of the apartment was formerly the schoolroom of the Blackie family.
Like all rooms once the domain of children It has the feeling of a place where much spirit and energy have been expended. It is large and irregularly shaped, under the roof, with bookcases and toy cupboards designed by Mackintosh. There is also a large three-sided bay window, flooding the room with daylight and looking over the Firth of Clyde and beyond.
On the second floor - access is via a steep spiral staircase and is not suitable for people with mobility difficulties.
Sleeping 6, accommodation comprises: 1 double and 2 twin bedrooms; Sitting room; Kitchen; Bathroom with shower attachment.
Parking available nearby.
The Hill House is the domestic masterpiece of the great Scottish architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh. Mackintosh was a key figure in the flowering of art in Glasgow at the end of the 19th century and a designer of extraordinary inventiveness. In 1902 he was commissioned by Walter Blackie, a publisher, to design this house and its interiors. The house blends tradition with a uniquely modern twist and is as visually striking today as it was a hundred years ago. Along with many of its original contents the house is now cared for by the National Trust for Scotland.
Helensburgh lies 23 miles from Glasgow on the north shore of the Firth of Clyde. The small town features shops, leisure facilities and the attractive Hermitage Park. It is also an excellent base for exploring the west of Scotland, for it is just a short drive to the southern shores of Loch Lomond and 45 minutes to Glasgow city centre by train.