WELCOME TO THE WATER MILL
The Watermill, built in 1905 to service the grain on what was the Glendaruel Estate, has been tastefully converted over the years, but always with a view to retaining its character.
They offer quality 4 stars graded B&B rooms in the turret, as well as The Saw Mill and The Joiner's Shop which can be booked on a B&B basis or Self Catering. Each room is different as you would expect in such an unusual building. The property sits within a beautiful secluded garden and woodland, complete with the original mill pond and streams that generated the power to service the mill.
The Water Mill is in the idyllic setting of Glendaruel in the heart of the Cowal Peninsula, Argyll. If you are walking the Cowal Way Path then you will be passing our door. We welcome many walkers throughout the year, but we also cater to guests looking for a truly relaxing place to base themselves while they explore our beautiful part of Argyll.
The Water Mill is an oasis on a quiet single-track road in West Glendaruel.
The guest areas
- A spacious and comfortable lounge with a wood burning fire and TV
- Adjacent dining room for dinner in the evening
- Breakfast is served overlooking the garden where you can enjoy watching the red squirrels and bird life
- Guests are welcome to wander round the extensive grounds and enjoy the gardens
- Janet Crawford - Upstairs in the turret. Double with en-suite shower. No TV. Book this room
- Sarah Kirkpatrick Room - Upstairs in the turret. Double with a sofa bed. Bathroom with a free standing slipper bath and shower attachment, bidet and separate toilet. No TV. Book this room
- The Joiners Ship - Ground floor. Twin beds with open door access to its own lounge with TV. Shower room. Book this room
- The Saw Mill - Own entrance and parking. Two twin bedrooms. Lounge with a pot bellied wood burning fire and TV. Shower room. Patio area with BBQ and garden views. Minimum 2 night stay - Book this room
- Full Scottish breakfast overlooking the gardens
- Optional dinner £25. Great value, delicious home cooking. Please book at least 24 hours in advanc.
- If you enjoy a glass of wine, or a drink, with your dinner - you are welcome to bring your own. The Water Mill is not licensed.
- Packed lunches available on request
- For walkers and cyclists: Drying area for boots & clothes
- Pet welcome
- No smoking
Wi-fi is available thrlughout the property - excoet the Saw Mill. Guest in the Saw Mill are welcome to use the wi-fi in the lpounge.
- Finding the Water Mill: We make it easy. A detailed map and directions will be emailed on receipt of the final payment
- Arrival & departure: From 4pm on arrival until 10am on departure
- Travel & Ferry information: An easy and fun way to arrive is via the frequent 20 minute Western Ferries trip from Gourock to Hunters Quay. Just turn up, no need to book. You can buy your ticket on board, but there is a real saving to be made if you stop before getting to the ferry at a newsagents on Shore Street called Pauls Food and Wine. From Hunters Quay it is a one hour scenic drive (22 miles) to Tighnabruaich. Alternatively it is a scenic drive via the shores of Loch Lomond and over the Rest-and-be-Thankful viewpoint to arrive via the north of Cowal.
- Walking the Cowal Way? The Water Mill is on the route and is the place to overnight between the Tighnabruaich and Strachur sections. Lighten the load - there is a transfer and baggage service available. Contact: Balliemeanoch Baggage