Gifford was laid out early in the 18th century and has retained much of its original charm. The village includes a beautiful church built in 1708, the Lime Avenue of Yester House, the Goblin Ha' and Tweeddale Hotels and a wide range of gardens all within walking distance of each other. Broadwoodside Gifford, EH41 4JQ (Anna and Robert Dalrymple): The garden at Broadwoodside is planted in and around a farm steading, rescued from dereliction. While people often talk of starting a new garden with a blank canvas, Broadwoodside was more like painting by numbers - planting the garden has been like an exercise in 'colouring-in' with the layout determined by the footprint of existing buildings and the old walls surrounding them. But, unlike a picture in a frame, a garden is always a work in progress.
Over half of the gardens are taking part to support open garden charity Scotland’s Gardens Scheme which raises money for hundreds of local charities.