An 18th century walled garden, with main feature a Cedar of Lebanon, reputedly planted in 1750 by the sea captain who built the house. It provides challenges for planting in terms of shade and needle fall. Distinctive garden 'rooms' in part of the garden comprise a perennial blue and white cottage garden, a formal rose garden and an 'Italian' garden with citrus trees in pots. A 'hot' courtyard contains exotics such as bananas, acacias, Iochromas, melianthus and brugmansia. A shaded walk along the bottom of the garden leads to a Japanese pagoda. A large conservatory/greenhouse houses various climbing plants including varieties of passiflora.
This is a fundraising event for the open garden charity Scotland’s Gardens Scheme which raises money for hundreds of local charities.