The power of touch for your baby cannot be overestimated. Touch is your baby's first language. Her first way to experience the world. Touch is her first relationship with you.
Baby massage has numerous benefits for mum (or dad!) and baby.
For baby, massage helps to:
- Regulate breathing and circulation
- Alleviate colic and digestive problems
- Improve sleep
- Regulate body temperature
- Express needs and develop trust in her parents
For mama, massaging the baby helps to:
- Establish breastfeeding
- Learn about baby likes and dislikes
- Get an understanding of the baby's body
- Reduce the risk of postnatal depression and 'baby blues'
- Develop confidence in parenting skills as you learn to understand and connect with baby
For dad, learning to massage baby helps to:
- Build a close bond with baby from the outset
- Establish own unique relationship with baby
- Learn how to understand the baby's cues
- Help mama calm and soothe the baby when mum needs a break / is unavailable
- Build confidence as a parent