The Balgedie Toll Tavern, an old coaching inn has stood on this spot since 1534. The Balgedie Toll Tavern is a welcoming and comfortable country tavern which, like many others built at the time in Scotland, was situated at a road toll where travellers would break their journey and pay tolls before travelling on (the Tolls were abolished in 1872). Now much extended, the oldest part of the building (the toll house) is at the southern end.
It has two restaurant seating areas, one upstairs and one downstairs in the main bar plus a small snug bar. The interior is traditional with low ceilings, oak beams, stone walls and open fire places. An extensive choice of meals and bar snacks are available, freshly prepared to order by an award winning chef and his team. House specialities include the infamous Balgedie Smokie.
A good selection of Real Ales, Malt Whiskies, Wines, freshly ground Italian coffee and great food are served daily. A family run freehold pub, you can be assured of a warm welcome.
The Balgedie Toll is surrounded by rolling countryside, with Loch Leven less than 10 minutes walk away. Loch Leven is large expanse of open water, - Loch Leven National Nature Reserve (NNR) provides a home for many different species of birds. With more freshwater breeding ducks than anywhere else in inland Europe, and links to Mary Queen of Scots, it combines history and nature. From late summer until spring, tens of thousands of wildfowl also use it for short- and long-term stopovers. There are huge flocks of wintering wildfowl. In summer, ospreys patrol the loch.
You can access most of Loch Leven on the Heritage Trail – a 21 kilometre circuit around the loch. It is traffic free and you can walk, run, bike or ride along the whole length. The Heritage Trail is suitable for walkers of all ages and abilities. It is also suitable for cyclists, wheelchair users and motorised scooter users.
Loch Leven Castle is a ruined castle on an island in Loch Leven, in the Perth and Kinross local authority area of Scotland. Possibly built around 1300, the castle was the location of military action during the Wars of Scottish Independence (1296–1357). In the latter part of the 14th century, the castle was granted by his uncle to William Douglas, 1st Earl of Douglas, and remained in Douglas hands for the next 300 years. Mary, Queen of Scots was imprisoned here in 1567–1568, and forced to abdicate as queen, before escaping with the help of her gaoler's family. In 1588, the Queen's gaoler inherited the title Earl of Morton, and moved away from the castle. It was bought, in 1675, by Sir William Bruce, who used the castle as a focal point in his garden; it was never again used as a residence.
Today, the remains of the Loch Leven castle are protected as a scheduled monument in the care of Historic Environment Scotland. Loch Leven Castle is accessible in summer by the public via a ferry. The Balgedie Toll is the perfect place to stop off for refreshments whilst in the area.