The Abbey Church is an active parish church. It is the last resting place of Robert the Bruce and nine other Scottish monarchs. The building was opened in 1821 and features outstanding stained glass and other architectural features.
The present day Abbey Church, which is on the Fife Pilgrim Way, is an active Church of Scotland parish church on a site which has been a worshipping community since 1072. Designed by William Burn it sits on top of the choir of the medieval abbey which was destroyed following the Scottish Reformation in 1560.
Inside the Abbey Church you will find Robert the Bruce’s tomb (which was rediscovered in 1818), an original cast of his skull, a video presentation about the discovery of his “lost tomb” and a visualisation of the original tomb, which he commissioned, based on fragments discovered on the site. It also contains a window created by Tiffany of New York, which was commissioned by Andrew Carnegie in memory of his family and other notable stained glass windows designed by leading Scottish artists of their day, along with interesting church furnishings from the present-day and medieval churches.
The present day church and its tower is the centrepiece of Dunfermline, one of the oldest settlements in Scotland and once its proud capital.
Access to the Abbey Church is free.