Located along Scotland’s east coast, Arbroath Western Cemetery contains the largest number of war graves of both wars in Angus. There are now 8 First World War casualties and 54 Second World War casualties commemorated in the cemetery, including two Dutch war graves. The First World War graves are scattered in the cemetery. Most of the Second World War graves are in a service plot, but a few are in other parts of the cemetery. This plot was reserved by the Admiralty and is the final resting place of many men based at HMS Condor, the Royal Naval Air Station at Arbroath, who were killed in action or during training accidents during the war. A Cross of Sacrifice, as designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield, stands in the service plot and was unveiled on 31 May 1953 by Vice-Admiral E.M.C. Abel Smith C.B., C.V.O., the first commanding officer of HMS Condor.