The Auld Kirk and its graveyard are Grade A listed and together form one of the finest and oldest sites in the town of Kirkintilloch.
The Auld Kirk is situated close to the Peel Park, in which a Roman fort on the Antonine Wall was located. A castle belonging to the famous Comyn family was built here in early mediaeval times, but was probably destroyed in the 14th century, perhaps on the orders of King Robert the Bruce. Do read our reviews on TripAdvisor.
In 1897-98 the land was acquired by the the local Police Commissioners and soon afterwards was made into a public park. Recent restoration includes the bandstand and fountain, both fine examples of products manufactured in Kirkintilloch by the renowned Lion Foundry. In addition, the War Memorial Gateway has been refurbished, park benches installed, footpaths renewed and the Roman and Mediaeval history explored through a series of linked interpretive panels.