Belleisle Estate is one of the most popular family attractions within South Ayrshire.
The Estate has at its heart a beautiful 18th century house now used as an hotel. It is set within a typical Estate landscape of woods, which give it a tranquil setting. It also has a well laid out walled garden.
Belleisle is synonomous with golf with its 18-hole golf course designed by Mr. James Braid who is known for his work at Gleneagles.
Belleisle has a more varied and turbulent history in comparison to its near neighbour Rozelle. At the sale of the Barony lands in 1754 Dr. Alexander Campbell of Ayr purchased Belleisle mansion house and the lands attached, which were known as Netherton of Alloway at that time.
Around 1765 the property fell to Campbell's brother, Archibald who was a writer in Edinburgh, and in turn he was succeeded in 1775 by John Campbell of Wellwood (nephew). At his death Hugh Hamilton of Pinmore purchased the property.
Hamilton extended the estate by purchasing surrounding property and he also built part of the mansion that we see today. It was at this time that it became known as Belleisle. His nephew Colonel Alexander West Hamilton inherited the estate. Colonel Hamilton had the former mansion almost entirely rebuilt and enlarged to form what we see today. In 1839 the estate fell to his son Hugh Hamilton who was in his minority and was later purchased by William Smith Dixon of Motherwell. In 1886 the estate was sold once again the new owners being the Coats family.
In 1926 Ayr Burgh Council purchased Belleisle for the sum of £25,000. This led to questions being raised in the House of Commons.
Belleisle Estate has both wild and domesticated animals. The wild life that you may expect is dependent on time of year and time of day of your visit. This may include Kingfishers, Sparrow Hawks, Owls and a range of garden birds. Animals would include Hedgehogs, Foxes and Squirrels.
We would ask that visitors not feed the feral cats that live and roam next to the main house.