Claypotts Castle is free to visit. The grounds can be accessible throughout the year. Internal access is facilitated by a private company. Phone 01786 450 000 in advance to arrange this.
An outstanding example of 16th century Scottish architecture, which is both intact and little altered. The castle owes its striking appearance to asymmetrical square garret chambers corbelled out over two circular towers at diagonally opposite corners. Built by John Strachan between 1569 and 1588, and later owned by “Bonnie Dundee”, John Graham of Claverhouse, it was inhabited into the 19th century.